Wednesday, December 30, 2009

2009 - The year that was for Bollywood Movies

2009 was a very eventful year for Bollywood movies. Lets look at some of the most memorable movies of the year – in the sequence in which they were released.

Jan: Luck by Chance
This has quickly become one of my all time favorite movies. Very subtle and very classy. Farhan Akhtar is fabulous and so is Konkana Sen Sharma. And then cameos by Hrithik, Shah Rukh and Karan Johar. The music is the best music I’ve heard in years. But the most amazing thing is that the music is almost "invisible" in the way it is picturized in the movie. Some moments are very cool. Farhan dancing to the Rishi Kapoor song “Bachna ae haseeno…” was total bollywood. I have watched this movie a number of times – specially on flights. It has a very nice feel to it.


Feb: Delhi-6
I keenly waited for this movie but it turned out to be an absolutely total disaster. Kaala Bandar!!! Music was nice. Very nice. Abhishek and Sonam Kapoor were both nice. But the movie –that was horrible!!! Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra better do much better next time.


Mar: Aa Dekhen Zara
Another lovely movie! Neil Nitin Mukesh has been very impressive in every movie that I have seen of his. I have become a fan of this guy – from Johnny Gaddar. The story is very different and interesting, the pace is great and the ending I thought was very interesting. A very nice movie to watch. Didn’t do too well at the box office though


Apr: 8x10 Tasveer
An interesting movie which I though could have been fantastic but turned out to be mediocre – not bad. Some moments in the movie are fabulous. Akshay Kumar does very well – specially as the bad guy. Ayesha Takia’s transformation from cute to vicious, I thought, was very impressive. Overall a missed opportunity I thought.


May: No releases – strike?!


Jun: New York
Another cool movie. Fantastic music. Beautiful visuals. And a great star cast. Again that guy Neil Nitin Mukesh is great. So is John Abhraham and Katrina Kaif. One of the best movies made around terrorism. Keeps you engaged all through and has some exceptional moments. Nice watch.

Jul: Love Aaj Kal
For me, the best Hindi movie of the year. And I know many will not agree. To follow up “Jab we met” (one of the greatest hindi movies of all times) was not easy – but very well done Imitiaz Ali. The story was a weirdish love story – again, but beautifully rendered – again! I have always been a huge fan of Rishi Kapoor and this movie reinforces that class is permanent. He is magical in this movie. Saif is good as always. Deepika Pudokone is great. One of the highlights of the movie is the taxi driver (the “OK” guy from Jab we met). Fabulous. And then there is Harleen Kaur. What a performance without speaking almost a single word! And the last minute of the movie – enter Neetu Singh – what an end. Uplifting and light. For me, movie of the year – undoubtedly.


Aug: Kaminey
A lot of hype around the movie – made by a very hyped up director – Vishal Bharadwaj. I think the movie was very well made – but somehow it does not seem “complete” – I don’t know how to say this. Shahid Kapoor was excellent. Priyanka Chopra was fantastic. But the shot of the year was the “Tope and Bhope” shot – piece of art. Very comparable to the Gabbar Singh shot – “kitney aadmi the”. The music was fantastic. The pace was good enough – but there is still something that was missing. Maybe its just my perception of Vishal Bharadwaj’s movies – including Omkara which I didn’t find as fabulous as most others seem to have done!


Sep: Wanted
Absolute rubbish! But a great treat for Salman Khan fans who just loved it. One of the top grosser of the year – and I am totally dumbfounded. Keep your brains at home and watch the movie if you must. But one highlight of the movie – the villain (Prakash Raj?). He was very weird and gets your attention although he comes in pretty late.


Oct: Blue
The director must be really blue-skying when he made this movie. It is easily the worst movie of the year. It was supposed to be the most expensive movie of the year – but he ended up making a documentary. Great star cast – but an absolute waste. Sanjay Dutt was very disappointing with his paunch. I have always been a fan of Sanjay Dutt and I hope he gets his act together. The worst possible movie that could ever have been made with that kind of resources.


Nov: Ajab Prem ki Ghazab Kahani
This was a nice and light one. Ranbir Kapoor is very cool in these light flaky roles. He has a charm which is great – but doesn’t come anywhere close to Rishi Kapoor of course. Katrina Kaif was very cool and together they looked fantastic. Overall an ok movie I thought - could have been fabulous - but the guy missed it.
Note: I did not see Paa and hence I have not written anything about it.

Dec: Three Idiots
A fabulous movie!! Totally outstanding. Aamir Khan is great – as always. But Sharman Joshi and Madhavan are not too far behind. The movie does get carried off on a tangent for a short while but comes back quickly. The “studious guy” – I don’t know his name – is an absolute star in the movie. Some really nice and genuine comedy. The credit of course goes to Rajkumar Hirani. He has found a niche of making very feel good movies with strong messages – and his rendering is unparalled I think. Great music too. "Lage Raho Munnabhai" was a very tough act to follow - but hats off Mr Hirani!

Overall Aal is well with our movies J! And looking forward to a great 2010 as well!!!


Having said this, I want to cover 2 Hollywood movies from 2009.
2012: A lot of special effects but the movie lacked a soul. You don’t feel for the characters – you are just watching them. I was extremely disappointed by this one.


Avatar: I must admit that going by the promos, I DID NOT want to watch this movie. But what a movie! Probably an all time classic! The movie has the perfect blend of technological wizardary and emotional quotient. Loved each and every moment of it. This one is a movie to own. Don’t miss it if you have not seen it already!!!

Have a great 2010!

5 comments:

  1. The list cannot be complete without mentioning two super performances from the latest entrant from Kapoor clan namely Wake Up Sid (WUS) and Rocket Singh.. With WUS Kjo came of age...

    On English ... I reco 'Changeling' ... a must deko !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both the Hollywood movies were great in special effects, but the storyline, characters and ending were very predictable and ordinary. Perhaps aimed at attracting the entire family.

    A must watch for special effects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch Hindi movies - so no comments.

    Avatar is 'out of the world' - it has made Titanic and other Dinosaur movies seem like cartoons! Phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just waiting for Sam to post on bollywood...and here we go...for some reason i thought I will be getting an e-mail when ever there is a new post which I didnt...so missed the exact momI was just waiting for Sam to post on bollywood...and here we go...for some reason i thought I will be getting an e-mail when ever there is a new post which I didnt...so missed the exact moment. Anyways my top movie is of course "3 idiots". ...here in Denver this guy who runs the bollywood movies has now moved to a new theatre ... pretty cramped one though...anyways so when I came out watching this movie, I simply couldnt find any flaw in this movie. But you always the great critics...chetan bhagat issue, ragging issue etc....Aamir has done a lot to publicize this hit...he actually went to a wedding in Punjab of some unknown person...he was disguised as a sardar...I like his commitment ! he was on facebook for whole year. ent. Anyways my top movie is of course "3 idiots". ...here in Denver this guy who runs the bollywood movies has now moved to a new theatre ... pretty cramped one though...anyways so when I came out watching this movie, I simply couldnt find any flaw in this movie. But you always the great critics...chetan bhagat issue, ragging issue etc....Aamir has done a lot to publicise this hit...he actually went to a wedding in Punjab of some unknown person...he was disguised as a sardar...I like his commitment !

    ReplyDelete
  5. ok it seems my earlier message got copied twice...anyways worth reading extra about this great movie :-).....well I think the guy to watch out in 2010 will be Ranbir...he has started to do better roles...in fact he is coming up like Aamir...remember how he started with QSQT...chocolate boy kinda.

    ReplyDelete